- Power System
- Company Profile
Piqua Power has existed for over 80 years. In 1933 construction was completed on the Piqua Municipal Power Plant and began generating electricity for the city. The Plant generated electricity using steam-powered generators for 63 years. Three additions were done to the plant in 1939, 1948, 1952, and 1961. In 1963 Piqua Municipal Power began generating electricity from a small nuclear reactor which produced 15 kW of electricity. Generation from the nuclear plant continued until the facility was shut down in 1966. Power Plant2The Piqua Plant continued to generate power through the 1990s and in 1996 stopped generating electricity. After the plant was closed the city began purchasing power from the open market and continues to do this today. Piqua Power currently operates out of a service center located on Hemm Avenue.
A more detailed history of Piqua Power is available:
History of the Piqua Power System (DOCX)
Power PlantPiqua power operates under a 13,200/7,620 grounded Wye system voltage and currently services approximately 10,725 customers.
- This breaks down to 9,573 residential, 1,127 commercial, and 25 industrial meters. This service is provided through 4 substations (substation information link) utilizing a total of ~292 miles of transmission, distribution, and underground lines. This equates to a 39.4 customer density per mile.
Piqua Power strives to provide reliable service to its customers. For the year 2016 our reliability numbers were as follows:
- ASAI (Average Service Availability Index) - 99.998%
- Ratio of the total customer minutes that service was available
- CAIDI (Customer Average Interruption Duration Index) - 37 minutes
- The average duration of a customer outage
- SAIDI (System Average Interruption Duration Index) - 14 minutes
- The average interruption duration for all customers served.
- SAIFI long (System Average Interruption Frequency Index) - 0.4
- The number of times a customer's service is interrupted (> 1 minute) averaged over all customers.
- SAIFI Short (System Average Interruption Frequency Index) - 1.64
- The number of times a customer's service is interrupted (< 1 minute) averaged over all customers.
- Sub Number 1 - 69 Kilovolts to 13.2 Kilovolts distribution substation
- Sub Number 3 - 69 Kilovolts to 13.2 Kilovolts distribution substation
- Sub Number 4 - 69 Kilovolts Switchyard
- Sub Number 5 - 69 Kilovolts to 13.2kV distribution substation
- Ed Krieger - Power System Director
- Piqua Power has 24 full-time employees
- Customer Charge ($/Month) $15
- Energy Charge ($/kilowatt-hour) $0.09969
General Power & Commercial (≪500 kilowatts)
- After 600 kilowatt-hours $0.04800
- Demand Charge ($/kilowatt-hour-Month) First 5 kW $0
- All over 5 kilowatts $15.90
General Power & Industrial (≪=500 kilowatts)
- Customer Charge ($/Month) $65
- Energy Charge ($/kilowatt-hour) First 200,000 kWh $0.04750
- After 200,000 kilowatt-hour $0.04557
- Demand Charge ($/kilowatts-Month) All kW $15.15
Private Outdoor Lighting
- 100 Watt High-Pressure Sodium $7.92
- 250 Watt High-Pressure Sodium $10.28
- 400 Watt Metal Halide $17.26
- 1000 Watt Metal Halide $20.95